Waking Up White: A Guided Book Immersion
Examining Whiteness in Our Lives Through a 6-Session Cohort
Registration is now closed
CLNE is excited to invite you to our newest program offering: a guided immersion into Debby Irving’s book Waking Up White: Finding Myself in the Story of Race. We invite you into a space to intentionally examine race and your racial autobiography.
Have you wondered what white culture is and/or if you have a culture?
Have you entered into conversations about white privilege, race, and anti-racism, but have felt ill-equipped to go deeper on your own?
Have you ever thought “I want to do something different, but I don’t know where to start”?
Are you feeling stuck in learning and acting different ways racially? Need a reboot?
If any of these resonate, this offering is for you!
This 6 session cohort study, facilitated by Richard Webb & Kelly Schumacher Fuller, will meet virtually every other Thursday from 6:30-8:00pm Central, beginning on February 10th and culminating on April 21st.
Each session will include:
- Interactive dialogue around the book and the group’s experiences with it
- Facilitated conversation around additional materials and tools for racial identity development
- Community and relationship driven experience to support effective learning and practice
In-between sessions participants will have access to an online community space in Mighty Networks.
Joining the book study is free, but does require registration here. A suggested donation of $125 to CLNE is welcome to support this work and CLNE’s mission (you can donate here), and is not required to participate.
You’re responsible for acquiring the book. We suggest:
- Finding the book at your local library
- Purchasing from Black Garnet Books, Minnesota’s only Black-owned bookstore, through their Bookshop site here, or
- Purchasing from another local bookstore.
Registration is now closed. We hope you can join us for a future session!